Chart-topping Songwriters and Composers Added to 3-Day Lineup Include Toby Gad, William Larsen, Deborah Lurie, Audra Mae, Andrea Martin, Richard Marx, No I.D. , Shawn Patterson, Santigold, Eddie Schwartz, Valerie Simpson and Grizzly Bear's Chris Taylor
NEW YORK, April 14, 2015 -- ASCAP, the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, the world leader in performing rights and advocacy for music creators, today announced the panel and performance schedule for the 2015 ASCAP “I Create Music” EXPO, to be held April 30th through May 2nd at the Loews Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles. Nearly 200 panelists and performers will participate in the conference, which is dedicated to the craft and business of songwriting, composing and producing. For the complete “I Create Music” EXPO schedule, visit www.ascap.com/eventsawards/events/expo/2015/schedule.aspx.
To kick off the conference, ASCAP will hold its General Annual Membership Meeting on Thursday, April 30th at 9:45 AM. ASCAP’s President and Chairman Paul Williams, CEO Beth Matthews and EVP of Membership John Titta will provide an update on ASCAP’s “state of the union” and vision for the future.
Other highlights of the program include “Hit Songwriters: In It to Win It” which takes place on Thursday, April 30th at 5:30 PM. This heavyweight panel brings together some of the biggest names in pop songwriting today. Kevin Kadish (“All About That Bass” - Meghan Trainor), Greg Kurstin (“Heartbeat Song” - Kelly Clarkson), William Larsen (“Am I Wrong” - Nico & Vinz), Jesse Shatkin (“Chandelier” - Sia) and Sevyn Streeter (“Yeah 3x” - Chris Brown) will explore in-depth what it takes to reach the top of the charts.
On Friday, May 1st at 4:30 PM, “Who Is He (and What Is He to You?): "I Create Music" Interview with Bill Withers” will take place, conducted by Aloe Blacc. Withers, the writer of beloved songs like “Ain’t No Sunshine,” “Lean on Me” and “Lovely Day,” will appear just two weeks after his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and share wisdom about the importance of staying authentic to yourself, in music and in life. The interview will be a full-circle moment for Aloe Blacc, who attended the 2010 ASCAP EXPO specifically to hear Withers speak.
For the 10th year in a row, ASCAP EXPO Master Sessions will offer emerging songwriters the chance to hear directly from some of the most successful music creators today. This year features Master Sessions from Emmy-winning composer Richard Bellis, top Latin songwriter Claudia Brant, film/TV/concert composer Douglas Cuomo, rap production duo Da Internz, pop songwriter Savan Kotecha, songwriter/artist Richard Marx, indie pop singer-songwriter Ingrid Michaelson and country music writer and former professional football player Mike Reid. These candid sessions will offer insider insight on everything from being creative on a deadline (Bellis) to the journey from professional sports to songwriting (Reid).
A hallmark of the ASCAP EXPO experience are the Opening Night and Closing Performance Panels, which feature top songwriters performing their own works, including legends who have penned iconic songs and today’s top songwriters who’ll share both favorites and new works. Performances will include The Writers Jam with Andrew Bird, Aloe Blacc, Ashley Gorley and Andrea Martin; and the "I Create Music" Center Stage with Kevin Cronin (REO Speedwagon), Hanson, Mike Reid and Valerie Simpson.
A summary of EXPO programming is below:
Keynotes and Conversations
- Who Is He (and What Is He to You)?: "I Create Music" Interview with Bill Withers; Interviewed by Aloe Blacc
- “We Create Music" with Tody Gad, Deborah Lurie, Richard Marx, No I.D. and Grizzly Bear's Chris Taylor
- Washington D©: How New Laws and Copyright Changes Will Impact Music Creators with Songwriter/Artist Aloe Blacc, Congressman Doug Collins, Congressman Hakeem Jeffries and ASCAP President Paul Williams
- Richard Bellis: Creativity on a Deadline
- Claudia Brant: Creo en Mi
- Douglas Cuomo: Musician's Survival Toolkit
- Da Internz: Write Ya Life: An Interactive Session
- Savan Kotecha: The Economics of a Hit Songwriter
- Richard Marx: Right Here Waiting
- Ingrid Michaelson: The Way I Am
- Mike Reid: From the Gridiron to the GRAMMYs
- Hit Songwriters: In It to Win It with Kevin Kadish, Greg Kurstin, William Larsen, Jesse Shatkin and Sevyn Streeter
- Live Multi-Genre Song Feedback Workshop Series with Darrell Brown
- Rock Songwriters on the Move with John Feldmann, Chris Lorde-Alge and Deryck Whibley (Sum 41)
- Murphy's Laws of Songwriting
- Trading Places: Composers Working As Songwriters (and Vice-Versa) with Jared Gutstadt, Daniel Heath, Brandon Jay, Shawn Patterson and Nick Thorburn
- Pop/Rock Feedback
- Jack of All Scores: Versatility in TV Composing and Feedback with Craig Marks, Roger Neill, Joey Newman, Elvin Ross and Jonathan Sadoff
- Straight Talk and Feedback from Country Music Pros
- R&B/Hip-Hop Feedback
- Women Behind the Music with Goapele, Erica Grayson, Faith Newman, Santigold and Sevyn Streeter
- The Music Supervisor’s Mission
- Higher Calling: Growing a Career in Gospel Music with Maurette Brown Clark, LaShawn Daniels, Janice Gaines, William McDowell and Jonathan McReynolds
- Desmond Child Presents Fair Trade Music: Re-Visioning the Music Ecosystem with Desmond Child, Eddie Schwartz and Doug Wood
- On the Come Up: Mama We Made It with Kirby Lauryen, Mali Music and Victoria Monet
- Know Your Placement: Music Publishing in Film, TV and Beyond
- Making the Most of Your ASCAP Membership
- Managing Your Online Presence (Presented by Squarespace)
- Strike Up the Brand: How to Boost Your Music Career with Partners and Sponsors (Presented by Billboard)
- Website Demolition Derby (Presented by Bandzoogle)
- Mastering Workshop: Simple Steps to Radio Ready (Presented by iZotope)
- Shaping Ideas and Producing (Presented by Native Instruments)
- The Instrumentalist-Producer’s Guide to Finishing Music (Presented by Ableton)
- Nuts & Bolts of the Music Business with Donald Passman, Esq.
- The Visual Streams: Making Money with Your Music on YouTube and Beyond (Presented by AdRev & Killer Tracks)
- Show Me the Money: Creating Your DIY Monetization Strategy (Presented by CD Baby)
- Creative Cohorts: How a Writer-Publisher Team Works Together
- Adoption vs. Babysitting: How to Choose Between a Music Publishing and Admin Deal (Presented by Lommen Abdo)
- Building Your Team
- The Writers Jam with Andrew Bird, Aloe Blacc, Ashley Gorley and Andrea Martin
- "I Create Music" Center Stage with Kevin Cronin (REO Speedwagon), Hanson, Mike Reid and Valerie Simpson
- ASCAP EXPO iStandard Producer and Rapper Showcase
- ASCAP EXPO Attendee Showcase (Presented by Eventbrite)
- Special Performances on the WorldArts Playback Stage (Presented by WorldArts)
- Dozens of sponsor sessions consisting of workshops and product demos
- One-on-One and Lunch Roundtable Mentor Sessions
- Music equipment, resources and technology exhibits
- Interviews and performances on the WorldArts Playback Stage
- Live-to-vinyl recordings at the Squarespace Studio
- Networking opportunities
- …and much more!
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a professional membership organization of songwriters, composers and music publishers of every kind of music. ASCAP's mission is to license and promote the music of its members and foreign affiliates, obtain fair compensation for the public performance of their works and to distribute the royalties that it collects based upon those performances. ASCAP members write the world's best-loved music and ASCAP has pioneered the efficient licensing of that music to hundreds of thousands of enterprises who use it to add value to their business - from bars, restaurants and retail, to radio, TV and cable, to Internet, mobile services and more. The ASCAP license offers an efficient solution for businesses to legally perform ASCAP music while respecting the right of songwriters and composers to be paid fairly. With 600,000 members representing more than 10 million copyrighted works, ASCAP is the worldwide leader in performance royalties, service and advocacy for songwriters and composers, and the only American performing rights organization (PRO) owned and governed by its writer and publisher members. www.ascap.com
Bobbi Marcus PR & Events, Inc.
cnevins (at) ascap.com