Award Show Official Rules and Regulations
* Effective January 15, 2021, a modified version of the 2021 ASCAP Pop Music Awards Official Rules and Regulations is available.
* Effective May 7, 2020, a modified version of the 2020 ASCAP Screen Music Awards Official Rules and Regulations is available.
An Update About 2021 ASCAP Award Shows
We recently made some significant changes to our Official Rules for our Pop, Latin, Rhythm & Soul, Country and Christian Awards for 2021 to streamline the awards rules, to make them easier to understand by harmonizing the rules across genres and to update them to incorporate more streaming data. Highlighted here are some of the changes across these genres:
- Winning Songs will be determined from data provided by MRC Data (formerly Nielsen) based on total “Impressions,” which is a combination of audience size projections for terrestrial and satellite radio and actual programmed and on-demand audio streams.
- Impressions will be calculated by looking at the best consecutive four quarters out of a five-quarter eligibility period so that songs are not disadvantaged based on their release dates.
- Genres will be determined based on songs appearing on the Billboard weekly charts for that genre; the Pop Awards will include all genres as they award the most “popular” songs irrespective of genre.
- The Song of the Year award will recognize the Winning Song with the greatest number of Impressions. As a general rule, Winning Songs from prior years will only be awarded in a subsequent year if that song would be the Song of the Year in the subsequent year.
- The Songwriter of the Year will recognize the songwriter with the highest “Writer Score,” which is the sum of that songwriter’s shares in each of their Winning Songs multiplied by that Winning Song’s Impressions.
- The Publisher of the Year will recognize the publisher with the highest “Publisher Score,” which is the sum of that publisher’s shares in each of their Winning Songs multiplied by that Winning Song’s Impressions.
- The Independent Publisher of the Year award, which had only been presented at the Latin and Pop Awards, will no longer be awarded because, as of 2019, the rules have allowed for all publishers to be eligible for Publisher of the Year.
We recommend that you read the full rules for the Awards that apply to your music. We look forward to celebrating your success online!