10 Reasons to Apply to the Harold Adamson Songwriters Workshop
August 15, 2018
We heard through the grapevine that you haven't applied to the ASCAP Foundation Harold Adamson Songwriters Workshop in Los Angeles yet. In case the prospect of a whole lot of education, collaboration and motivation wasn't enough, here's a list of 10 reasons you should apply for the Harold Adamson Workshop pronto:
You'll learn everything you wanted to know (and some stuff you didn't) about the business of songwriting
Even the most advanced songwriters could stand to learn more about publishing, licensing, royalty streams, etc. The guest speakers at the Harold Adamson Workshop will help you understand how the "business" part of the music business affects you.
Get out of your house; get out of your comfort zone
This industry would be nothing without great music, but being a successful songwriter means being adaptable. The Workshop will challenge you to consider new strategies and ideas for getting your music out there. You'll also simulate a real-life co-writing situation by creating a song in an unfamiliar style with another collaborator from the Workshop.
Get inspired by professional songwriters and producers
Our Workshop always includes candid discussions and mentor sessions with renowned songwriters. Past guests have included Sir George Martin, Dan Wilson, Don Was, Greg Kurstin, J Kash & Meghan Trainor, Rick Nowels, Glen Ballard, Jon Platt, Greg Wells, Jackson Browne, Linda Perry, Billy Steinberg, John Shanks, Kara DioGuardi, Michelle Shocked, Ben Harper, Jonatha Brooke, Matthew Wilder and numerous others. And we've already got some incredible guests lined up for the 2018 Workshop! Who could that be? You'll have to apply to find out…
Get honest feedback from people whose opinions matter
Workshop participants get multiple chances to play their music for the professional songwriters, publishers and film/TV executives that come in as guests. Want a serious critique from someone who could make a difference in your career? This is your chance.
We'll take field trips
The Workshop headquarters are at ASCAP's Los Angeles office. But most years, we visit a studio where you can see a working songwriter or producer in his or her natural habitat.
You will meet lifelong collaborators
You are assigned to write at least one song with a new collaborator during the Harold Adamson Workshop. Most of our participants go far beyond that though. We've witnessed bands and songwriting teams form out of the Workshop, and friendships that last for years after the final session lets out.
You are responsible for getting to LA. We'll handle the rest.
We feed you
Knowledge is fulfilling. So is food. We'll give you both - at no cost.
Strengthen your connections with ASCAP
We adore hearing from our Workshop alumni as their careers grow and their networks expand. Your relationship with ASCAP doesn't have to end after the eighth session is over!
Everybody's doing it
Many of our Workshop participants have gone on to do amazing things. Just a few of our incredible alumni:
- Diane Warren - Grammy and Golden Globe-winning, Oscar-nominated Hall of Fame Songwriter; six-time recipient of ASCAP Songwriter of the Year award
- Mai Bloomfield - founding member of Raining Jane; toured/wrote with Jason Mraz; winner of the 2011 Kerrville New Folk songwriting contest
- busbee - songwriter/producer/musician with hits for Lady Antebellum, Kelly Clarkson, Alexandra Burke, Rascal Flatts and many more
Reeve Carney - signed to Interscope with his band Carney; played the lead role in the Broadway musical Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, star of the Showtime series Penny Dreadful
- Gabriel Mann - member of The Rescues; award-winning composer of Modern Family, The Exes and many more
- Kathrin Shorr - singer/songwriter/producer; member of Sweet Talk radio; winner of Sammy Cahn Award
- Femke Weidema - signed to Ten Ten Music; past winner of the Harold Adamson Lyric Award
- Rachel Assil - singer-songwriter signed to Timbaland; wrote the Timbaland-produced song "Whoever We Are," from the Pepsi Beats of the Beautiful Game compilation album.
- Lisa Harriton - co-wrote the Oscar and Grammy-nominated "Everything Is Awesome!" from The LEGO Movie
- Jack Dolgen - Emmy-nominated co-writer of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
- Casey Smith - signed to Ryan Tedder/Downtown Music
- Paul Gutierrez - signed to Angry Mob Music
So what're you waiting for? Apply for the ASCAP Foundation Harold Adamson Songwriters Workshop today!
The 2018 Workshop is accepting submissions through October 14, 2018. Click here for all the submission info.