Apply to The ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshops Led by Stephen Schwartz
Deadline is March 2!
The 2020 ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop is now accepting applications through March 2, 2020 for its Los Angeles and New York programs. The acclaimed workshops give participating composers and lyricists the rare chance to present selections from original, musical works-in-progress for professional critique. The Los Angeles workshop, presented in partnership with Universal Theatrical Group (UTG) and the Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts (The Wallis), returns to The Wallis’s Beverly Hills campus on April 6 & 7, marking the fifth consecutive year of the creative collaboration.
The highly regarded programs are led by artistic director Stephen Schwartz—the Tony, Oscar and Grammy award-winning composer/lyricist whose credits include the Broadway shows Wicked, Godspell and Pippin, the Walt Disney films Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the DreamWorks' film The Prince of Egypt, with the theatrical production currently in previews in London.
The two-day Los Angeles program is composed of various sessions featuring prominent guests from all aspects of musical theatre, including producers, directors, critics, performers and composers. Tickets to the LA workshop sessions will be available to the public and detailed ticket information is forthcoming.
Among the songwriters who have participated in the workshops over the years are: Jonathan Larson (Rent), Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (Ragtime/Once on This Island), Steven Lutvak (A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder), Andrew Lippa (The Addams Family), Glenn Slater (Sister Act/School of Rock), Matthew Sklar and Chad Beguelin (Elf).
Workshop participants will have the opportunity to present selections from their original works in progress for professional critique. Each session will feature prominent guests from all aspects of musical theatre, including producers, directors, critics, performers and composers.
LA Workshop dates: April 6 and 7, 2020 at The Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts
NY Workshop dates: Fall 2020 (exact dates and location TBD)
Time: All sessions begin at 7:30pm sharp
Submission Information:Writers interested in applying for participation in the ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshops in Los Angeles and New York City should submit the following:
- CD of four (4) songs from your musical
- Lyric sheets for each of the four songs
- A brief description of each song as to its plot placement
- A brief synopsis of the musical
- Biographical information for each composer, lyricist and book writer
- Contact information (including e-mail address, phone number and mailing address)
7920 Sunset Blvd., Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90046
ATTN: ASCAP Musical Theatre Workshop
- EVEN THOUGH THE WORKSHOPS ARE IN LOS ANGELES AND NEW YORK, APPLICATIONS SHOULD ONLY BE SENT TO LOS ANGELES
- Please submit four (4) songs only. If you send a full recording, ASCAP will only listen to the first four (4) songs.
- Submissions do not need to be produced in a studio as we are looking for talent and potential, not production value.
- If your musical is selected, you will need to present 50 consecutive minutes from the musical at the workshop. The 50-minute selection must include book and songs.
- THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN ACCEPTED TO PRESENT MATERIAL IN THE WORKSHOPS WILL BE CONTACTED BY MARCH 16, 2020.
- Those who will be invited to audit the workshop will receive an email invitation.
- Please do not call to ask if you have been selected.
Submissions will not be returned.
Questions: call 323-883-1000