An ASCAP Licensing Customer Update
IMPORTANT NOTE: We apologize for the delay in our billing process for December. We plan on sending out Television Licensing December billing statements with the January billing statements. After finalizing the 2021 fees, we needed additional time to verify all of the 2021 information in the new system. We do not foresee frequent billing delays in the future. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
ASCAP is excited to announce that our new and improved licensing system has launched for our television licensing customers!
This page will serve as a resource for our licensee customers, explaining the changes you will see with the new system. We will update this page regularly with new information, so please bookmark it and check back frequently.
Account Number Updates
The first major change with the launch of the system is that our television customers will receive a new ASCAP License Account Number (actually three different numbers, all of which are explained below).
Each television station will have the following new numbers assigned to them:
Group Number: This is a brand new feature of the system that will allow both station owners and ASCAP to manage accounts at the highest level. The number will be assigned to the corporate entity that enters into an ASCAP license covering one or more individual television stations.
Customer Number: This is the number that television customers are used to. It corresponds to individual stations and is tied to the station’s FCC ID.
Policy Number: This is another new feature of the system. Every station will now be assigned a policy number for each specific, individual agreement, by term or period covered by such agreement, that the station has with ASCAP. Because we are migrating to the new system information for periods prior to the commencement of the most recent ASCAP-TVMLC agreement, a station may have more than one policy number at launch. Referencing your policy number is the easiest and most efficient way to get information on the exact station, license and period you are enquiring about or submitting payment for.
Please consult the chart below for a visualization of how these new account numbers work:
Every account will now have two statement options, based on how they would prefer to view their bill. Below is a breakdown of these two options, who each option is suited for, as well as additional customizations we can now offer.
• Generally at the legal entity level and will simply list each station and corresponding policy, with the total amount owed for each policy.
• This statement will NOT provide a list of transactions.
• This statement type is best suited for:
- Groups who are up to date on their billing
- Groups who have fixed fees
- Groups who rely on other resources to view the details of their account
*Please note: Your account may default to this billing statement automatically. If you wish to change this, please reach out to your account manager.
• Generated at the policy level.
• You will receive one billing statement for each policy your station has, so you may receive multiple billing statements should you prefer this option.
• This statement will provide a list of transactions, based on the policy it is for.
Additional Bill Customizations:
• We can now accommodate sending statements to a third party for payment
• If you would like to set up a completely custom structure (for example: groups by market), we can also accommodate those requests
• To discuss customization options, please contact your account manager
When you start receiving your new billing statements, we urge you to please review them carefully. You may notice that due to the fact we are focusing on policy data, there could be slight anomalies. If you see anything of concern, please notify us immediately.
We will soon be offering paperless statements! Paper bills will only be sent out if there is a debit or credit balance.
Below are examples of both the Group Billing Statement and Individual Billing Statement. As you can see by the red boxes, the Group Billing Statement will include both your Group Number and the Policy Numbers within that Group.
The Individual Billing Statement will include your Customer Number, but will be mainly focused at the Policy level, so your Policy Number will be prominently displayed. If you choose to receive Individual Billing Statements, you will receive one for each policy.
Group Billing Statement Example:
Individual Billing Statement Example:
Stay tuned to this page for additional updates about the new system. Thank you for being an ASCAP licensee!