2. Sign Up for Direct Deposit
ASCAP distributes royalties quarterly to our writers and publishers. Want your ASCAP royalties as quickly as possible? Sign up for Direct Deposit to get your money sent to your bank account, the same day it's available. It's fast, it's eco-friendly, and it bypasses our royalty threshold for physical checks.
Sign up through your Member Access account.
3. Join ASCAP As a Writer and Publisher Member
Already an ASCAP writer member? Consider joining as a publisher member, too. When we distribute royalties for a performance of your music, 50% goes to the writer(s), and 50% to the publisher(s). Unless you've assigned your publishing rights to someone else, you are your own publisher! Setting up your ASCAP publishing membership will ensure that you don't miss out on any of the ASCAP income you deserve.
Join today at www.ascap.com/join. It only takes about 10 minutes, and you can come up with (almost) any name you want.
4. Register Your Music
In order to get you paid, we need to know who exactly we're supposed to pay, and what percentage each party should get. Here's how it works:
- Songs or concert pieces: Register your music through our Title Registration system. Log into Member Access to begin.
- Score written for TV or film: We rely on cue sheets, which outline the music from an audio/visual project, and how it's used. Cue sheets are normally sent to us by the producer or music supervisor of the program, not the writer of the music. Find out more at Cue Sheet Corner.
- For music in commercials or promos, register the music via Title Registration first, then send us some additional info about the project (guidelines here) so we can properly track performances and get you paid.
Want to make registering your music easier? Download your ASCAP Mobile Pass in Member Access. It's a handy way to keep track of your Interested Party Information (IPI) code, essential for registering your music properly. Share your IPI with your co-writers/publishers, and make sure to get theirs too.
5. Learn from Iconic Music Creators and Industry Thought Leaders at the ASCAP Experience
Every year, the music community gathers in Los Angeles for the ASCAP Experience - a multi-day music creator conference that packs in dozens of panels, feedback sessions, workshops and networking opportunities into three days of education and inspiration. Our panelists are the best of the best - Billie Eilish and Finneas O'Connell, Stevie Wonder, Hans Zimmer, Katy Perry, Questlove, mxmtoon, Diplo, Quincy Jones, Pasek & Paul, Justin Timberlake, Bill Withers, Tom Petty, T.I. and Sara Bareilles have all joined us, among many others.
In 2020, we went virtual with the ASCAP Experience: Home Edition. Watch all of our career-boosting, thought-provoking panels for free at www.ascapexperience.com.