ASCAP/CBDNA Frederick Fennell Prize Guidelines
For the best original score for concert band
ASCAP and the College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA) seek to recognize talented young composers 18–30 who write for concert band.
The winning score will be announced at the CBDNA Forum at the Midwest Clinic on December 21st, 2014 and will be guaranteed a live performance by a prominent college band selected by the CBDNA.
Open to citizens or permanent U.S. residents, or enrolled students with student visas, who are between the ages of 18 and 30 by January 1st, 2015. Only one entry per composer may be submitted. Previous winners of the ASCAP/CBDNA Frederick Fennell Prize are ineligible.
Submit the following:
- Completed online application form (see below)
- Biographical information (music studies, background/experience, a list of compositions to date)
- Only one composition per composer may be submitted.
- Only original music will be considered. Arrangements are ineligible.
- The score reproduction submitted must be legible, bear the applicant’s name and be reproduced by an accepted reproduction process.
- Only submit copies of your score. Applicants should keep their original scores.
- CDs of the composition submitted are welcome, but must be clearly marked with the composer’s name, title of the composition and identification of the concert band performing.
- When submitting recordings of multi-movements works, each movement must be on a separate track and marked clearly in the score and CD.
- All scores and CDs shall remain the property of the composer. If you wish materials to be returned, the entry must be accompanied by a self-addressed envelope with sufficient return postage.
- Please note that post office rules REQUIRE a POSTAGE METER STAMP for returning all packets weighing over 13 ounces. Regular postage stamps will not be accepted.
- Proper care will be taken to protect all music materials submitted, but each applicant releases all persons connected with this competition (including members of the selection committee) from any claims resulting from possible loss and/or destruction of scores/CDs/materials submitted.
Submission Deadline: The deadline for applications has passed. Please check back in 2016!