ASCAP Virtual Events, Meetings and Social Media Activities Code of Conduct
April 27, 2021
The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (“ASCAP”) is proud to be part of a community of music creators and supporters. Collectively, we are experts in the music and media businesses, technology, licensing and copyright. Individually, we are music fans, and passionate about helping those that create music. We are committed to creating events, meetings and social media activities that uphold a positive environment that is diverse, inclusive, safe, free from discrimination, productive and welcoming.
All members, staff, speakers/panelists, performers, organizers, guests, registrants, sponsors, vendors, attendees and other participants (“Participants”) of ASCAP virtual events, meetings and social media activities must abide by the following Code of Conduct:
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions.
- Behave in a professionally appropriate and courteous manner and comply with all applicable laws and regulations as well as event rules and policies.
- Be collaborative.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants.
- Respect laws regarding copyrights, trademarks and other third-party rights and refrain from misappropriating or infringing on the intellectual property of other companies and individuals.
Unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- Demanding, racist, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech (both verbal and written) related to race, national origin, ethnicity, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation or preference, gender identity, genetic information, disability, handicap, color, creed, religion, veteran status or any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
- Behavior that is boisterous, lewd, disruptive (e.g., “zoom-bombing”) or containing offensive or threatening language or conduct.
- Knowingly and falsely discrediting the reputation of another participant, or defaming, maligning or making false accusations concerning another participant.
- Presentations, postings and messages containing promotional materials, special offers, job offers, product announcements or solicitation for services unless previously approved by event organizers.
- Photographing, recording or distributing any screenshots, videos or audio recordings of content.
- Sharing your virtual login credentials with other individuals.
Contacts and Reporting an Incident
If a Participant violates this policy, ASCAP may, in its sole discretion, take any action it deems appropriate, including, without limitation, expelling the violator from the virtual event, meeting or social media activity without notice (or refund if applicable), disqualifying the violator from participating in future events, meetings or social media activity and removing any messages, materials or content that violates this policy without notice.
ASCAP has zero tolerance for any form of unacceptable behavior, including, without limitation, discrimination, bullying or harassment by any Participants in our virtual events, meetings and social media activities. If you experience or hear of any incidents of unacceptable behavior, please let ASCAP’s event team know by emailing VirtualEvents@ascap.com.
ASCAP reserves the right to modify this Code of Conduct from time to time and such modifications will be effective upon posting.