The Herb Alpert Young Jazz Composer Awards, a program of The ASCAP Foundation, are granted annually to encourage talented young jazz composers.
The winning composers will share over $40,000 in ASCAP Foundation Awards.
All materials must be postmarked no later than December 1, 2014.
Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States, or enrolled students with STUDENT VISAS. Applicants must be under the age of 30 as of December 31, 2014.
Only completely original music will be considered. Arrangements are not eligible. Compositions which have previously earned awards or prizes in major national or international competitions are ineligible.
- Completed application form.
- Score or chart of one composition. Only one composition per composer may be submitted.
- A CD of the composition indicating proper track (if applicable) and marked with the composer’s name, the title of the work and the names of the performers.
- When submitting recordings of multi-movements works, each movement must be on a separate track and marked clearly in the score and CD.
- Biographical information listing music studies, background and experience.
- The score or chart must be legible and must bear the applicant’s name. It should be submitted either on regular music paper or reproduced by an accepted reproduction process. Only copies should be submitted. The original should be held by the applicant.
- An electronic simulation may be submitted in place of a live recording.
- Compact discs must be playable on a standard CD player. Please use CD-R format media and select "Audio" CD when burning your disc.
- For vocal compositions setting text, provide evidence that the text is either in the public domain, or if still protected, used with written permission from the author or author’s representative (publisher or estate).
- For setting a translation of text, provide evidence that the translation is either in the public domain, or used with written permission from the translator or translator’s representative (publisher or estate).
- All submissions shall remain the property of the composer.
- Although scores/charts and CDs are the property of the composer, if you wish your score returned, the proper postage amount MUST be affixed to the return envelope.
- Materials without Sufficient return postage (SASE) will not be returned.
- Please note that Post Office rules REQUIRE a POSTAGE METER STAMP for returning all packets weighing over 13 ounces. Regular postage stamps will not be accepted.
- Proper care will be taken to protect all music materials submitted, but each applicant releases all persons connected with The ASCAP Foundation (including the members of the Screening Panel and Selection Committee) from any claims resulting from possible loss and/or destruction of works/ CDs/materials submitted.
Materials must be postmarked no later than December 1, 2014 and should be sent to Cia Toscanini, The Herb Alpert Young Jazz Composer Awards, The ASCAP Foundation, 1900 Broadway, New York, NY 10023.
The names of those serving on the Selection Committees will be made public on or before February 15th, when the awards are announced.
As required by Federal law, a year after receipt of the award, each recipient will be required to report to The ASCAP Foundation on the use of the funds; progress made to improve skills; and accomplishments during the year of the Award.
Any individual shall be eligible to receive an award except members or officers of The ASCAP Foundation, members of the Board of ASCAP, members of the Screening or Selection Committees, and members of the families of the foregoing.