Congratulations on your election to the Society, and welcome to ASCAP. We look forward to working with you to advance your career and to insure that you receive royalty payments for surveyed domestic performances, and for performances surveyed by our sister Societies in foreign territories.
To avoid mail returns and delays, notify the Post Office as soon as you receive ASCAP's Publisher name clearance that mail addressed to your Publishing company is to be delivered to the address you have designated on your Publisher application.
We are proud that you have chosen ASCAP to represent you. Our goal is to make your membership rewarding. Your cooperation strengthens our ability to protect your interests. To be sure that you receive ASCAP royalty payments, read the instructions on the following pages carefully.
ACTIVATE YOUR MEMBER ACCESS ACCOUNT.
Please be sure to activate your online ASCAP account. Member Access allows you to view your catalog, change your address, view or download your statement and sign up for Direct Deposit.
REGISTER EACH ASCAP WORK YOU PUBLISH IN THE ASCAP TITLE REGISTRATION FACILITY ON ASCAP'S WEB SITE.
ASCAP pays royalties for performances to its writer and publisher members only when the titles have been properly registered. No distribution can be made for performances of a work until it is registered with ASCAP. To register your Titles, go here. To insure proper crediting for your concert (standard/serious) music works, you must specify duration and instrumentation/or the number of choral parts. Please indicate when a generic form (such as Sonata) may serve as an alternate title. A work with a "poetic" title which is also a Sonata, should be identified in the Alternate Title field by the generic form.
If you experience difficulties with on-line Title Registration, please submit a Member Inquiry in Member Access. Your inquiry will be directed to the Repertory Department.
REPORT ALL DOMESTIC AND FOREIGN PERFORMANCES DIRECTLY TO THE CONCERT MUSIC DEPARTMENT USING THE ONLINE PERFORMANCE NOTIFICATION FORM.
- REPORT FUTURE PEFORMANCES as much in advance as possible to insure that they are properly licensed.
- Use the online Performance Notification form each time you report a Domestic or International performance. Upload scanned programs, announcements, or website pages indicating the entire program, and as much information as available, preferably in a PDF format. ASCAP reports international performances promptly to our affiliated foreign societies.
Online Performance Notification form available here.
- Remember that a performance must be licensed and the fee paid, before you are credited with a performance.
- Please do not use your ASCAPlus Award Application as a substitute for timely reporting of performances (Click Here for explanation of ASCAPlus Awards).
* PLEASE DON'T DELAY REPORTING CURRENT OR PAST PERFORMANCES (not more than 12 months old) using the online Performance Notification form. ASCAP must bill for domestic performances not licensed in advance. Successful collection of license fees requires prompt billing.
PERFORMANCES AT LICENSED COLLEGES, UNIVERSITIES AND CONSERVATORIES are subject to ASCAP's Educational Survey. Programs in this field can be submitted via the online performance notification form.
All ASCAP works performed at colleges, universities and conservatories will be included in the annual ASCAP Educational Survey.
*Performances included in the ASCAP Educational Sample Survey are:
- Student Recitals,
- Faculty Recitals,
- Ensembles or artists in residence as visiting faculty at the school,
- Orchestral, Choral, and Chamber performances, and
- Electronic or Electroacoustic performances.
*Performances in the Educational Survey that are Censused, and credited on a full count basis are:
- Concert Band/Wind Ensemble performances.
*Performances included in the Professional Recital field are:
- Non-faculty performances by guest artists and/or composers receiving a fee of $1500 or more, with the exception of those programs already included in the Concert Band/Wind Ensemble census.
Please be advised that THE FOLLOWING PERFORMANCES ARE NOT LICENSED BY ASCAP:
- ASCAP does not license Dramatic Works (opera, ballet, music theater, etc.); nor broadcasts of Dramatic Works; nor Concert performances of complete Dramatic Works. Either you or your publisher must license these events directly.
- Performances within religious services are not licensed by the Society.
- US Armed Forces performances are not licensed by the Society.
- Elementary, Junior and Senior High Schools (Kindergarten-12th grade) are not normally licensed by the Society.
The Special Classification Committee reviews, on request by the member, credit assigned for performances of ARRANGEMENTS of PUBLIC DOMAIN MUSIC. After review in each case, the Committee may award both writer and publisher additional credit. The percentage credited for a particular arrangement is shown on the annual distribution of Symphonic, Recital, and Educational performances. To request a review, contact Christopher Dobbins, Musicologist, Concert Performance Crediting Department at ASCAP, One Lincoln Plaza, New York, N.Y. 10023; PHONE: (212) 621-6135; E-MAIL: email@example.com.
Please review your royalty statements timely in Member Access. You must notify ASCAP within 9 months of receipt of statement to report corrections and/or additions.
KEEP THE CONCERT MUSIC DEPARTMENT INFORMED ABOUT YOUR PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES Send your announcements and information about recordings, publications, commissions, awards, honors, fellowships, appointments, etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org.
READ ALL ASCAP COMMUNICATIONS carefully to be informed about your Society. Register for ASCAP email to receive our monthly email newsletter, ASCAP Inside Music, where you will get up-to-date information about professional opportunities, legislative issues, and member benefits. Refer to www.ascap.com/email to register your email address.