New York, NY, January 17, 2013: As part of its continuing commitment to nurture new American musicals, The ASCAP Foundation is seeking new musicals for the annual ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop in New York. Serving once more as artistic director for the workshop is Academy Award and Grammy Award-winning composer/lyricist Stephen Schwartz, whose credits include the hit Broadway shows Wicked, Godspell and Pippin, the Walt Disney films Enchanted, Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame and the DreamWorks film The Prince of Egypt. The workshop will take place March 27th and 28th and April 1st and 2nd, 2013 at 7:00pm sharp.
Workshop participants will have the opportunity to present selections from their original works in progress for professional critique. Each session will feature prominent guests from all aspects of musical theatre, including producers, directors, critics, performers and composers.
Writers interested in applying for participation in The ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop in New York should submit the following:
- CD of four (4) songs from your musical
- Lyric sheets for each of the four songs
- A brief description of each song as to its plot placement
- A brief synopsis of the musical
- Biographical information for each composer, lyricist and book writer
- Contact information (e-mail address, phone number and mailing address)
SEND YOUR COMPLETE SUBMISSION PACKAGE TO:
Michael A. Kerker
ASCAP Musical Theatre Workshop
7920 W. Sunset Boulevard, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90046
NOTE: While this workshop is in New York, submissions must go to the Los Angeles office.
DEADLINE: Submissions must be received at ASCAP by Friday, February 15th, 2013.
- Submit four songs only. If you send us a full recording, we will only listen to the first four songs.
- Submissions do not need to be produced in a studio. We are looking for talent and potential, not production values.
- If your musical is selected, you will need to present 50 consecutive minutes from the musical at the workshop. The 50-minute selection must include book and songs.
- Those who have been accepted to present material in the workshop will receive a phone call by March 1st, 2013.
- Those who will be invited to audit the workshop will receive an e-mail invitation.
- Please do not call to ask if you have been selected.
Space is limited. Submissions will not be returned.
For further information, please call 323-883-1000.
The ASCAP Foundation Musical Theatre Workshop in New York is part of an ongoing series of workshops sponsored by The ASCAP Foundation to nurture new American musicals. The workshops are free of charge and are open to everyone, regardless of performing right affiliation.
About The ASCAP Foundation
Founded in 1975, The ASCAP Foundation is a charitable organization dedicated to supporting American music creators and encouraging their development through music education and talent development programs. Included in these are songwriting workshops, grants, scholarships, awards, recognition and community outreach programs, and public service projects for senior composers and lyricists. The ASCAP Foundation is supported by contributions from ASCAP members and from music lovers throughout the United States. www.ascapfoundation.org
# # #
Bobbi Marcus PR & Events, Inc.