The annual CMA Songwriters Luncheon and presentation of the CMA Triple Play Awards, which honors songwriters who pen three chart-topping hits in a 12-month period, was held January 29th, 2013 at Marathon Music Works in Nashville, Tennessee. Twelve songwriters received the three-peat trophy from CMA Board Chairman Troy Tomlinson, including eight ASCAP members: Dierks Bentley, Ben Hayslip, Dave Haywood, Josh Kear, Charles Kelley, Shane McAnally, Eric Paslay and Neil Thrasher.
"Nashville is legendary for its songwriters and CMA is proud to recognize this important segment of our industry," said Steve Moore, CMA Chief Executive Officer. "It is an honor to present these songwriters and songwriting artists with the Triple Play Award and acknowledge this incredible accomplishment and their significant contributions to our format."
Also in attendance at the industry-packed luncheon were numerous ASCAP hitmakers and the entire ASCAP Nashville Creative team, lead by Michael Martin and LeAnn Phelan, as well as songwriter members of the CMA and representatives of some of the most successful publishers in Music City.
"We couldn't be more proud of the ASCAP members honored at this year's CMA Triple Play Awards," said Martin. "To witness so many of Nashville's greatest songwriters gathered together on one stage, accepting their awards for such a remarkable accomplishment, is both humbling and immensely fulfilling."
ASCAP's CMA Triple Play Award winners and the #1 hits they were recognized for include:
- Dierks Bentley: "Am I The Only One," "Home," "5-1-5-0"
- Ben Hayslip: "Honey Bee," "I Don't Want This Night To End," "I'm Gonna Love You Through It"
- Dave Haywood: "Just A Kiss," "We Owned The Night," "Dancin' Away With My Heart"
- Josh Kear: "Dancin' Away With My Heart," "Drunk On You," "Blown Away"
- Charles Kelley: "Just A Kiss," "We Owned The Night." "Dancin' Away With My Heart"
- Shane McAnally: "Alone With You," "Come Over," "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye"
- Eric Paslay: "Barefoot Blue Jean Night," "Even If It Breaks Your Heart," "Angel Eyes"
- Neil Thrasher: "Tattoos On This Town," "Banjo," "Fly Over States"
"I'm so grateful to be a part of the Nashville family," said Paslay. "One of my biggest dreams was to have a song on Country radio. Getting a #1 was sugar on top. Being honored by the CMA with a Triple Play Award has made 2012 the sweetest year of my life so far!"
"Considering my love for Country Music and my lifelong dream to have songs on the radio, I am blown away by the idea that I would have a #1 at all, much less three in one year," said McAnally.
During the luncheon, Tomlinson also presented a $250,000 donation from the CMA Foundation to the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Foundation to help construct the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame at the new Music City Center and "Songwriters Square," an exterior plaza and walkway leading into the state-of-the-art Center, which will be engraved with the names of Songwriters Hall of Fame members and the titles of their most beloved compositions.